Welcome! I’m Tammi.
Scientist, writer, collector of beautiful moments, and so much more.
But in short, I’m Tammi. And I’m here to help you find happiness in health wherever you adventure. My hope is that you will see just how much fun a healthy lifestyle can be.
I’ve been studying the science of aging since 2014, working with The Dog Aging Project, the Longevity Lifestyle Project and most recently, a worldwide user survey on rapamycin, which is a potential anti-aging drug.
Wander Healthy is a combination of what I know and love, adventure and the science of aging well. Here, I focus on healthy living at home and abroad.
What You’ll See Here
- Off the beaten path adventures to keep you moving.
- Practical tips for finding healthy food, fitness and wellness options around the world.
- Inspiration and motivation to make the most of your journey, in life and on the road.
Why I Blog
I hope to show you that a healthy lifestyle is not all or nothing, nor is it a sudden departure from everything you currently know and do. It’s a gradual lifelong process of growing, learning and making simple choices that build upon themselves without much effort on your part.
Why I Explore
I grew up in Alaska, where I spent most of my time outdoors whenever possible. I’ve always been more comfortable in big, open and empty spaces. Without people. When I graduated from college my advisor had only two pieces of advice for me.
- Get some culture
- Stop wearing sweatpants
These heartfelt German words directed the course I would follow for the rest of my life. In the last thirty years, I have traveled the world and fallen in love with it. People, cultures and even clothes. And while I still need space to breath and be, I’m able to find it just about everywhere I go in one form or another.
Introvert, book lover, dog mom and mom of 2 boys. Often solo, usually slow, I love hiking, paddling, exploring abandoned buildings, secret caves and hidden waterfalls.
This spirit of exploration pushes me out of my comfort zone, promoting physical activity, mental resilience, and emotional well-being, all of which are cornerstone elements of healthy living. This is what I hope for you as well.
Healthy Resources for Your Next Adventure
An adventurous attitude encourages a lifestyle that naturally gravitates towards healthier choices, be it through nutrition, mindfulness, or active living, thereby setting the stage for a life of longevity.
- How to Find Motivation to Workout While Traveling
- 31 Healthy Hobbies for Travelers
- 19 Best Healthy Snacks for Hiking and on the Go
Art & Science of Aging Well
Longevity is an art and a science. It involves a balanced lifestyle between four essential components. One, mindset, which includes cultivating social connections, pursuing lifelong learning, and maintaining a positive attitude, constitute the art – nurturing emotional resilience and purpose.
The science encompasses regular exercise, balanced nutrition, and adequate sleep, supporting physical health and cognitive function.
Stress management and preventive healthcare also contribute to longevity. The synergy of these elements fosters a fulfilling and healthy aging process.
Here are some helpful resources to get started.
- Motivation to Eat Healthy: Best Tips and Tricks
- How to Motivate Yourself to Walk Every Day: 17 Tips and Tricks
- Roadmap to Health: Your Guide to a Longer, Healthier and Happier Life
- Healthy Habits to Start for a Longer, Healthier and Happier Life
Where I’ve Been Featured
- SixtyandMe.com – Building Your Community
- Get It Magazine – The Best Advice I’ve Ever Been Given
- Medium – Travel and Personal Growth
- MSN – When’s the Best Time to Visit Mount Rainier National Park?
- Muscle & Health – What is Biohacking? The Quest for Eternal Youth
- Next Avenue – Feeling Isolated? Create Your Own Social Group
- Self – The Best Hiking Boots for Trekking, Strolling and Ascending
My Trekking Bucket List
I love hiking. And I love trekking. The two are not the same. Here are the treks in my near and distant future:
- GR20 in France
- Cinque Terre in Italy
- Camino de Santiago: 2024
- Everest Base Camp, Nepal ✅
- Tour de Monte Blanc
- Mt Fuji, Japan ✅
- Torres del Paine
- Laugavegur trek, hut to hut in Iceland
- West Coast Trail, Vancouver, B.C.: Coming up next!
- Inca Trail ✅
- Routeburn Track, New Zealand
- Longe Range Traverse, Canada
Thanks for joining me on this journey!